4M4Life.com

World War II's Youngest Death Acknowledged

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
World War II's Youngest Death Acknowledged
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_britain_youngest_casualty

By GREGORY KATZ, Associated Press Writer Gregory Katz, Associated Press Writer   – Fri Feb 5, 12:39 pm ET

LONDON – He lied about his age to get into the service, and was rewarded for his gallantry with an early death.

Now, on what would have been his 82nd birthday, Reginald Earnshaw's sad place in history has finally been acknowledged.

On Friday, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission officially recognized him as the youngest known British service casualty in World War II.

The lad lived just 14 years and 152 days. He died when German planes attacked the SS Devon, the ship he was on, off the east coast of England on July 6, 1941. He had only served for several months.

Officials had been slow to recognize his status because they did not have official proof of his date of birth, making it impossible to prove he was actually younger than Raymond Steed, who died at 14 years and 207 days.

Earnshaw was serving as a Merchant Navy cabin boy when he died. He had told authorities he was 15, the minimum allowable age, after leaving school to help with the war effort.

His younger sister, Pauline Harvey, placed flowers at his grave at Comely Bank Cemetery in Edinburgh, Scotland, on Friday and met with the aging relatives of other Merchant Navy sailors killed during the same attack.

"Reggie's death at such a young age and after just a few months at sea came as a great shock to the whole family," said Harvey, a retired teacher who is 77. "I am immensely grateful to so many people who helped research my brother's forgotten story, and to the war graves commission for providing his grave with a headstone."

She came forward with proof of her brother's date of birth after the war graves commission made a nationwide appeal for information about Earnshaw.

He had laid in an unmarked grave in Edinburgh for decades, and little was known about his case until a surviving shipmate, machine gunner Alf Tubb, spent several years trying to find out what had happened to the young man he served with.

His search was difficult because the war graves commission was never told where Earnshaw was buried, preventing him from receiving recognition for his brief service.

Based on information Tubb discovered, the war graves commission placed a permanent granite headstone on Earnshaw's grave last summer.

Officials said Harvey, who was nine when her brother died, will now be able to choose a personal inscription for her brother's gravestone.

Awesome, if it was WWII, I could join the army.
Awesome Points: 155
Shin's the perverted hero, he wouldnt stoop to that level.

omegadoomslayer (7:36:13 PM): You, Pryce and Whales are the Trio of Terrible

Cewt Addy Bunny (3:38:58 PM): You are a ­di­­ck.
frashprince55 (3:39:12 PM): Why thank you.

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
Re: World War II's Youngest Death Acknowledged
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 02:59:48 AM »
why do we care about this today? the war was so long ago, it wasn't an american either, not to mention this sort of thing wasn't uncommon. My grandfather lied about his age at 16 and join the merchant marines.

[kata]

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 06:42:07 AM »
All Stories from WWII are amazing, we need them all and we need them in our current lives because it is human nature to repeat mistakes once forgotten and the stakes with technology on a world war 3 Level would be somthing destined to destroy the world and be good for no one.. WWII is probably the last known world war possible as long as we have wepons cabable of mass destruction beyond any reason or repair for anyone to benifit and live on.

Offline TwitchLord

• I am Ganon!
  • Fear to enter DredzBop for the TwitchLord lives!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »
tkoold you try to hard

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »
why do we care about this today? the war was so long ago, it wasn't an american either, not to mention this sort of thing wasn't uncommon. My grandfather lied about his age at 16 and join the merchant marines.

Because people are bored and have time to figure out this stuff.
Awesome Points: 155
Shin's the perverted hero, he wouldnt stoop to that level.

omegadoomslayer (7:36:13 PM): You, Pryce and Whales are the Trio of Terrible

Cewt Addy Bunny (3:38:58 PM): You are a ­di­­ck.
frashprince55 (3:39:12 PM): Why thank you.

Offline Adelaide

• ♥ Ich bin dein Kaninchen! ♥ ⊂(˙ワ˙)⊃
    • PLURtanz
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »
Figure other stuff out! =D
Enter text here.MURF
I am the creator of awesome points and therefore I have a never ending supply.
10 Luffle Points~!

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)* *********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*ZombieHugs*`·¸.´******
*******`·.¸(¨`· Forever·´¨)..·´********
**************`·.¸.·´********* ******
[refle]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_22_05_09_12_36_39.png[/refle]

[img]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_27_08_09_1_54_05.