Pryce's Anime Review: Potemayo

Offline Pryce321

• Neko Master!
  • \(≧∇≦)/(=w=) ಥ﹏ಥ
Pryce's Anime Review: Potemayo
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:28:54 PM »
Title: Potemayo

Genres: Comedy, Fantasy

General Info: Sunao Moriyama finds a strange but cute creature that he names Potemayo. Potemayo starts following him everywhere, usually riding on top of his head. His discovery becomes the center of attention in his class at school. Soon after, a similar creature appears, and is named Guchuko by one of Sunao's classmates. However, Guchuko doesn't seem to be as good-natured as Potemayo.

Number of Episodes: 12
Original Run: Jul 7, 2007 to Sep 22, 2007

Characters:

Sunao Moriyama: Sunao is a male junior high school student with a very serious attitude and in effect shows little emotion, if at all. He is the one to originally find and name Potemayo, and it is perhaps due to this that Potemayo takes a liking towards Sunao. He does his best to look after Potemayo and make sure she is safe, which means he has to take her to school with him everyday. Sunao's mother passed away when he was younger, and since his father is almost never home, Sunao has become very self-sufficient at a young age.

Potemayo: Potemayo is a mysterious creature that appeared one day in Sunao's refrigerator. The name Potemayo comes from first two characters of potato (ポテト, poteto) and mayonnaise (マヨネーズ, mayonēzu) — what Sunao was eating at the time. At first, she could not speak anything but the non-nonsensical phrase "honi", which she often utters even after learning how to say a few words like Sunao's name. Potemayo is very protective of Sunao; if anyone tries to get close to him, she will growl and attack the person until they back off. When taken around with Sunao, she rides around on his head. She has the personality of a young child around two or three years of age, but has a super deformed body, complete with cat ears on her head. Potemayo will fly into a jealous rage when Mikan tries to get close to Sunao. Potemayo is also telepathic, at least when others are thinking about her Sunao, and becomes violent when she "hears" Mikan even thinking about Sunao. A small chick named Tori (とり, Torr, lit. "bird") hangs around Potemayo and will often sit on her head.

Mikan Natsu: Mikan is one of Sunao's classmates, whom which she has a huge crush on; however, due to her soft-spoken personality, she does not find it easy to convey her feelings of love. Mikan will often have outragious fantasies involving her and Sunao in a relationship together, which causes her to space out entirely.

Kyo Takamimori: Kyō is another one of Sunao's classmates, and is Mikan's close friend. She has a tomboyish personality, and is athletic. She is also an excellent cook, especially of sweets, and has become involved with Guchuko as a result. Kyō's mother frequently tries to convince Guchuko to stay in their house, with usually bad results.

Guchuko: Guchuko is another mysterious creature that appeared in Sunao's refrigerator, and is somewhat similar to Potemayo in appearance. Guchuko is named by Kyō Takamimori shortly after she ran into Guchuko at school. The name Guchuko is derived from a small chocolate ball called a guchu which Guchuko likes to eat, and -ko (子, -ko?) added at the end, since it is a common ending for female given names in Japan. Guchuko carries a scythe with a skull on it, and can fire strong energy beams from two living horns (or possibly worms) on either side of her head. She has a very self-sufficient personality, and has only partially warmed up to Kyō, who often gives Guchuko food when at school or at home; Guchuko sleeps in a tree right outside Kyō's house.

Opening:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ylZ37LT4M[/youtube]

My Review: Potemayo's variety of characters cause many different comedic situations, such as Sunao's lack of major emotions cause him to take even the most outrageous situations in stride, and Guchuko's drastic but simple reactions to mostly everything. Sunao's brother/father role to Potemayo is the center of the plot , like teaching her about shopping for groceries and what to do at festivals.

My Rating: 5/5
Shoop da woop: Included with product
Awesome Points: 575

Offline Adelaide

• ♥ Ich bin dein Kaninchen! ♥ ⊂(˙ワ˙)⊃
    • PLURtanz
Re: Pryce's Anime Review: Potemayo
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:17:27 AM »
Well this looked really really cewt so I actually started watching it... Only watched 2 episodes but so far I love it!! <3

^-^ Will let you know what I think of it when I'm done watching it
I am the creator of awesome points and therefore I have a never ending supply.
10 Luffle Points~!

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)* *********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*ZombieHugs*`·¸.´******
*******`·.¸(¨`· Forever·´¨)..·´********
**************`·.¸.·´********* ******
[refle]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_22_05_09_12_36_39.png[/refle]

[img]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_27_08_09_1_54_05.