4M4Life.com

where do you draw the line when reading?

Offline bloo-apple

• You Just Made Me Happy!
    • Bloo-Apple
where do you draw the line when reading?
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:37:34 AM »
when does it become too much text to read in a thread?

I tend to not read a new thread if it the opening post more than 2 paragraphs.  How about you?

<!-- and I don't read a reply unless it's 6 words or less. -->

Offline Adelaide

• ♥ Ich bin dein Kaninchen! ♥ ⊂(˙ワ˙)⊃
    • PLURtanz
Re: where do you draw the line when reading?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:02:56 AM »
XD I never draw a line, if I am interested when I start, I read it to the end, if it's not, I lose interest fast and don't reply out of politeness to not disregard what the person said (Unless someone said something i can reply to previous to when i got the chance to post again)

I don't mind reading posts, I love to hear what people have to say, and I love debating on forums too C: Its great fun~

^- TL;DR.
I am the creator of awesome points and therefore I have a never ending supply.
10 Luffle Points~!

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)* *********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*ZombieHugs*`·¸.´******
*******`·.¸(¨`· Forever·´¨)..·´********
**************`·.¸.·´********* ******
[refle]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_22_05_09_12_36_39.png[/refle]

[img]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_27_08_09_1_54_05.

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:17:07 AM »
Yeah bloo thats pretty ignorant and dumb its when you do things like that i stop posting and things because then i just wasted a page of typing. i Mean really wtf, people write their lives on here and you ignore it.. whatever

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 07:15:30 AM »
I'm a fast reader and long posts don't usually bother me. If its a long long quote from some website, I use an old trick of reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph, in order to get the summary of it all. Short replies (6 words or less, as bloo stated) take only half a second to read, I don't usually have to stop scrolling for those.

I guess its cool that Bloo admitted to being a lazy reader, tho i find it ironic that he can't read books, and prefers a screen to read from, when he barely reads what we type:B

NOW TO COPY PASTA SOME LONG STUFF SO HE WONT READ MY POST!!

The Word of Notch

NOV

Very well made, I love it! :D

We might run a compo soon for videos for the front page! As long as there’s no copyrighted material in it, you can submit videos you’ve made in the past.

If possible, we might have it play a random video from a bunch of them.

posted 2 hours ago | 37 Comments and 3 Reactions

NOV

Minecraft Alpha 1.2.1, Minecraft Server 0.2.3
The server update is not mandatory, but you might want to update just to make sure.

This is a bugfixes only update:

* Signs on the sides of cacti no longer crash the game
* The player won’t get stuck on the top of the world in multiplayer
* Reverted mob spawning back to the old code, it was far to annoying. I have plans on what to do with this.
* Fixed the leaf particle colors
* Reduced CPU usage for monster spawning, but there’s still a lot of work to be done to reduce lag on SMP servers.
* Attempted to fix the portal dupe bug where you could exit through a different (new) one than the one you entered through.

About the portals, it’s possible that two portals can lead to the same portal in the Nether. This is because the space down there is compressed by a factor of 8, and I haven’t come up with a good way to fix this yet.
I might just end up doing an explicit one-to-one binding between portal pairs, but that’s nontrivial as it should survive the portal being temporarily destroyed. If you TNT a portal then rebuild it, you’d expect it to still lead to the same place, right?

Hmm.

More bug updates are coming next week, mainly related to survival mode multi player.

[edit:]

Client 1.2.1_01 fixes armor. And I forgot to mention that Music will play in multiplayer now as well.

posted 3 days ago | 743 Comments and 0 Reactions

NOV

Webhallen Minecraft texture pack competition!
Webhallen is a really awesome Swedish hardware/game store that I use privately a lot. The guys running it seems to like Minecraft, and asked us if we could do a competition together, so we did!

Minecraft will very soon feature official texture pack replacement support, and the competition is to make the most awesome texture pack possible for Minecraft!

Check it out: http://www.webhallen.com/minecraft/

First prize is a 180 GB SSD signed by me (yes, on the actual drive!) and an original painting by Kristoffer Zetterstrand, who made all the paintings in the game. The new painting will be added to the game, but you get to own the original.

The official texture pack support is coming soon. It was supposed to be part of the halloween update, but I kind of forgot.. In the meanwhile, PC Gamer wrote an excellent guide on how to install texture packs until this new support is added:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/25/how-to-install-a-minecraft-texture-pack

The competition runs until December 20 (I think..?), and is available to anyone who can receive UPS deliveries.

For further details, go here: http://www.webhallen.com/minecraft/

posted 3 days ago | 111 Comments and 0 Reactions

NOV

Survival Mode Multiplayer is priority #1
I just finished moving minecraft.net to a new server, and it’s looking fairly stable. I fixed a few bugs with creative mode, so that should be working now as well.

Now I will rest for a few days, as I’m utterly exhausted. After that, I will get cracking on Survival Mode Multiplayer, as it’s still the highest priority for the game.

There’s a bug in there now where the cpu usage will shoot up through the roof sometimes, and I think that’s related to lighting. Immediately after the release, there was a hang bug where lighting would go into an infinite loop sometimes on existing loaded maps. I “fixed” that by making the loop always terminate after a certain number of iterations. My guess of what’s going on now is that the lighting probably keeps going into that loop over and over again.

The biggest features that need fixing are;

* Fixing the performance issues
* Health and working enemies
* Finishing up the inventory code so the dupe bugs/glitches go away
* Figuring out how to run both the normal world and the nexus in parallel.

I also want to make the portals able to teleport players between servers, both on different IPs and just to a different port on the same IP. Player equipment will follow through the portal and everything! (that will be agreed upon between the servers, so they don’t have to trust the client)

Oh, and the secret artist is Junkboy. Check out some of his stuff here:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10694.0

posted 1 week ago | 734 Comments and 0 Reactions

OCT

The Halloween Update is out!
The minecraft.net server is a bit overwhelmed at the moment, so you might not be able to get in immediately.

There’s a whole pile of new content in this update, and a bunch of bugs in multi player got fixed. Here’s what I managed to fit in:

Next up, I will take a couple of days off, then get started on survival mode multiplayer and make a push towards reaching Beta. I will also finish moving minecraft.net over to the much faster server and DDOS protection I signed up for last week.

We’ll move in to our fancy new offices slightly ahead of schedule, on November 15. Initially, it’ll be just me, Daniel and Jakob, but about two weeks later, Jeb and <SECRET ARTIST NAME WITHHELD UNTIL HE’S QUIT HIS JOB> will join us.

posted 1 week ago | 652 Comments and 0 Reactions

OCT

Halloween update previews are up
Both PC Gamer and Indiegames.com have their previews of the halloween update up now!

Now back to coding and coffee!

posted 1 week ago | 739 Comments and 0 Reactions

OCT

Great success!
Today I signed the papers for the office in the morning! We’ll move in there January 1! YAY!

When I got back home, I totally rewrote how the hell/normal plane transitions work, and cleaned up the code quite a lot. You’ll get more information about exactly how it works soon, as I’ve sent out a sneak peek build to two different gaming news sites.

The portals have a neat particle effect to them as well, and the transition is sufficiently cheesy.

Biomes got a bit of extra work as well, with the grass/leaf colors more correctly representing both temperature and dampness of the region, and the monster spawning code getting moved into the biome code. Right now, it’s all enemies in most biomes, except the hell biome where there’s only ghasts and zombie pigs.

I’m looking for a good new name for “hell”. I want to avoid simply re-using existing religious names, it would be more creative to have something original. At the moment, I’m considering both “The Slip” and “Nexus”, but neither feels minecrafty enough.

Also, the Zombie Pigs have a very very gory skin at the moment, but I will change that into something that doesn’t have blood in it. It’s more fun to be scary without blood.

posted 1 week ago | 819 Comments and 0 Reactions

OCT

Biomes. They’re not final yet, but this is about how they will be in the Halloween update.

Monster spawning and terrain features can be tied to individual biomes, so some biomes could get special trees, or special mobs, or different grass, to make them all more unique.

posted 1 week ago | 259 Comments and 0 Reactions

OCT

Some work on biomes
Working things out on paper (pardon the handwriting!):

Leads to this:

To the right of the player is a Taiga (mostly over the ocean), to the left is either a Forest, or Woods, I can’t remember. In the distance is probably tundra.

Remaining work on biomes include letting them change the elevation (deserts, plains, tundras and swamps should all be flat), and changing the grass color depending on the biome type. The border between frozen biomes and not frozen ones will get way nicer.

The sky color changes slightly depending on how cold the area you are in is.

posted 1 week ago | 480 Comments and 3 Reactions

OCT

Weekend activities
On Saturday, we spent some 5-6 hours in a real life meeting room with almost everyone (the pixel artist was missing) in the company, going through everything that’s going on and trying to work out where we want to go. It was a really productive meeting, and we’ve got a few ideas we want to do.

One of them will be to introduce Jeb (the new programmer, will be working web development and helping out in minecraft) and Jakob (the game developer/designer/programmer who will be leading the new game). They will both write a short text introducing themselves and I will post it here. You might already have seen Jeb around the community in different places.

We will eventually set up a company wide blog somewhere where everyone can post. Perhaps this is a chance to finally use mojang.com for something. There’s no real plan to migrate away from this blog, so we’ll see how things play out. I like this one too much personally to just quit it!

One fun thing about starting a new company is choosing your hardware. I went for a “decent gaming computer” with “dual widescreen monitors”, and a Logitech MX518 mouse and a Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent. I guess I’m really picky when it comes to input, but I don’t really care about the rest, heh. :D
The two business/management-people went for MacBooks. Of course.

And finally I’d like to recommend two awesome new indie games:

Super Crate Box (Windows) by Vlambeer
Available for absolutely free here: http://www.supercratebox.com/
Super Crate Box is an action platformer based around a fairly simple mechanic. Pick up a crate to get a point, but when you do, you replace your current weapon with a random new one. You can either kill enemies or just avoid them, and the crates spawn in random location. It gets really hectic after a while, but it’s very rewarding.
A controller (like an XBox 360 controller) is highly recommended.

Super Meat Boy (XBox 360 Live Arcade) by Team Meat
Available for a small pile of Microsoft points on XBox Live Arcade
Super Meat Boy is a frustration platformer based around being amazing. You play an extremely fragile chunk of meat, wall sliding, sprinting and jumping across a scary large amount of levels. The level design is amazingly perfect, and the game is filled with homages to other games.
You will die a lot, though.
Fun fact; the Minecraft guy (Steve?) might make it in as an unlockable character in the pc version :D

posted 2 weeks ago | 254 Comments and 0 Reactions

← back in time Page 1 of 69

Opinions, rants, screenshots and demos from an up and coming indie game developer.

Twitter!
It's Dungeonquest, and night fell the very next turn, killing all four players immediately. Awesome game.
about 18 hours ago
Stuck in the catacombs with 4 turns left, max: http://twitpic.com/34tfsr
about 19 hours ago
So exciting! @jahkob starts his Mojang job tomorrow, and we get our office one week later!
1 day ago
@ceolwulf hmm.. Interesting. I think it works well for MySql, so I don't think it'll be horrible for java
1 day ago
Ooh and @C418 even though he's not in Sweden! #ff #sorry
2 days ago
follow me on Twitter

Archive
Random Post
tumblrist theme
by topherchris.

powered by Tumblr.

[kata]

Offline bloo-apple

• You Just Made Me Happy!
    • Bloo-Apple
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 12:06:54 PM »
Yeah bloo thats pretty ignorant and dumb its when you do things like that i stop posting and things because then i just wasted a page of typing. i Mean really wtf, people write their lives on here and you ignore it.. whatever

you guys are too serious

I was kidding about the 6 word replies

if anyone is reading something and isn't interested within the first few lines, most people stop reading

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »
i 95% of the time read the whole post

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 03:24:09 AM »

you guys are too serious

I was kidding about the 6 word replies

if anyone is reading something and isn't interested within the first few lines, most people stop reading

Oh I get it now. After people flipped out, you decided to say you were joking. JOKES ON US.

[kata]

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 07:37:55 AM »
i draw the line of reading when the reading gets boring

like books, ill give a book a few chapters chance, but if it is just too boring i move on

Offline Adelaide

• ♥ Ich bin dein Kaninchen! ♥ ⊂(˙ワ˙)⊃
    • PLURtanz
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »
I'm a fast reader and long posts don't usually bother me. If its a long long quote from some website, I use an old trick of reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph, in order to get the summary of it all. Short replies (6 words or less, as bloo stated) take only half a second to read, I don't usually have to stop scrolling for those.

I guess its cool that Bloo admitted to being a lazy reader, tho i find it ironic that he can't read books, and prefers a screen to read from, when he barely reads what we type:B

NOW TO COPY PASTA SOME LONG STUFF SO HE WONT READ MY POST!!

The Word of Notch

NOV

Very well made, I love it! :D

We might run a compo soon for videos for the front page! As long as there’s no copyrighted material in it, you can submit videos you’ve made in the past.

If possible, we might have it play a random video from a bunch of them.

posted 2 hours ago | 37 Comments and 3 Reactions

NOV

Minecraft Alpha 1.2.1, Minecraft Server 0.2.3
The server update is not mandatory, but you might want to update just to make sure.

This is a bugfixes only update:

* Signs on the sides of cacti no longer crash the game
* The player won’t get stuck on the top of the world in multiplayer
* Reverted mob spawning back to the old code, it was far to annoying. I have plans on what to do with this.
* Fixed the leaf particle colors
* Reduced CPU usage for monster spawning, but there’s still a lot of work to be done to reduce lag on SMP servers.
* Attempted to fix the portal dupe bug where you could exit through a different (new) one than the one you entered through.

About the portals, it’s possible that two portals can lead to the same portal in the Nether. This is because the space down there is compressed by a factor of 8, and I haven’t come up with a good way to fix this yet.
I might just end up doing an explicit one-to-one binding between portal pairs, but that’s nontrivial as it should survive the portal being temporarily destroyed. If you TNT a portal then rebuild it, you’d expect it to still lead to the same place, right?

Hmm.

More bug updates are coming next week, mainly related to survival mode multi player.

Client 1.2.1_01 fixes armor. And I forgot to mention that Music will play in multiplayer now as well.

posted 3 days ago | 743 Comments and 0 Reactions

NOV

Webhallen Minecraft texture pack competition!
Webhallen is a really awesome Swedish hardware/game store that I use privately a lot. The guys running it seems to like Minecraft, and asked us if we could do a competition together, so we did!

Minecraft will very soon feature official texture pack replacement support, and the competition is to make the most awesome texture pack possible for Minecraft!

Check it out: http://www.webhallen.com/minecraft/

First prize is a 180 GB SSD signed by me (yes, on the actual drive!) and an original painting by Kristoffer Zetterstrand, who made all the paintings in the game. The new painting will be added to the game, but you get to own the original.

The official texture pack support is coming soon. It was supposed to be part of the halloween update, but I kind of forgot.. In the meanwhile, PC Gamer wrote an excellent guide on how to install texture packs until this new support is added:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/25/how-to-install-a-minecraft-texture-pack

The competition runs until December 20 (I think..?), and is available to anyone who can receive UPS deliveries.

For further details, go here: http://www.webhallen.com/minecraft/

posted 3 days ago | 111 Comments and 0 Reactions

NOV

Survival Mode Multiplayer is priority #1
I just finished moving minecraft.net to a new server, and it’s looking fairly stable. I fixed a few bugs with creative mode, so that should be working now as well.

Now I will rest for a few days, as I’m utterly exhausted. After that, I will get cracking on Survival Mode Multiplayer, as it’s still the highest priority for the game.

There’s a bug in there now where the cpu usage will shoot up through the roof sometimes, and I think that’s related to lighting. Immediately after the release, there was a hang bug where lighting would go into an infinite loop sometimes on existing loaded maps. I “fixed” that by making the loop always terminate after a certain number of iterations. My guess of what’s going on now is that the lighting probably keeps going into that loop over and over again.

The biggest features that need fixing are;

* Fixing the performance issues
* Health and working enemies
* Finishing up the inventory code so the dupe bugs/glitches go away
* Figuring out how to run both the normal world and the nexus in parallel.

I also want to make the portals able to teleport players between servers, both on different IPs and just to a different port on the same IP. Player equipment will follow through the portal and everything! (that will be agreed upon between the servers, so they don’t have to trust the client)

Oh, and the secret artist is Junkboy. Check out some of his stuff here:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10694.0

posted 1 week ago | 734 Comments and 0 Reactions

OCT

The Halloween Update is out!
The minecraft.net server is a bit overwhelmed at the moment, so you might not be able to get in immediately.

There’s a whole pile of new content in this update, and a bunch of bugs in multi player got fixed. Here’s what I managed to fit in:

Next up, I will take a couple of days off, then get started on survival mode multiplayer and make a push towards reaching Beta. I will also finish moving minecraft.net over to the much faster server and DDOS protection I signed up for last week.

We’ll move in to our fancy new offices slightly ahead of schedule, on November 15. Initially, it’ll be just me, Daniel and Jakob, but about two weeks later, Jeb and <SECRET ARTIST NAME WITHHELD UNTIL HE’S QUIT HIS JOB> will join us.

posted 1 week ago | 652 Comments and 0 Reactions

OCT

Halloween update previews are up
Both PC Gamer and Indiegames.com have their previews of the halloween update up now!

Now back to coding and coffee!

posted 1 week ago | 739 Comments and 0 Reactions

OCT

Great success!
Today I signed the papers for the office in the morning! We’ll move in there January 1! YAY!

When I got back home, I totally rewrote how the hell/normal plane transitions work, and cleaned up the code quite a lot. You’ll get more information about exactly how it works soon, as I’ve sent out a sneak peek build to two different gaming news sites.

The portals have a neat particle effect to them as well, and the transition is sufficiently cheesy.

Biomes got a bit of extra work as well, with the grass/leaf colors more correctly representing both temperature and dampness of the region, and the monster spawning code getting moved into the biome code. Right now, it’s all enemies in most biomes, except the hell biome where there’s only ghasts and zombie pigs.

I’m looking for a good new name for “hell”. I want to avoid simply re-using existing religious names, it would be more creative to have something original. At the moment, I’m considering both “The Slip” and “Nexus”, but neither feels minecrafty enough.

Also, the Zombie Pigs have a very very gory skin at the moment, but I will change that into something that doesn’t have blood in it. It’s more fun to be scary without blood.

posted 1 week ago | 819 Comments and 0 Reactions

OCT

Biomes. They’re not final yet, but this is about how they will be in the Halloween update.

Monster spawning and terrain features can be tied to individual biomes, so some biomes could get special trees, or special mobs, or different grass, to make them all more unique.

posted 1 week ago | 259 Comments and 0 Reactions

OCT

Some work on biomes
Working things out on paper (pardon the handwriting!):

Leads to this:

To the right of the player is a Taiga (mostly over the ocean), to the left is either a Forest, or Woods, I can’t remember. In the distance is probably tundra.

Remaining work on biomes include letting them change the elevation (deserts, plains, tundras and swamps should all be flat), and changing the grass color depending on the biome type. The border between frozen biomes and not frozen ones will get way nicer.

The sky color changes slightly depending on how cold the area you are in is.

posted 1 week ago | 480 Comments and 3 Reactions

OCT

Weekend activities
On Saturday, we spent some 5-6 hours in a real life meeting room with almost everyone (the pixel artist was missing) in the company, going through everything that’s going on and trying to work out where we want to go. It was a really productive meeting, and we’ve got a few ideas we want to do.

One of them will be to introduce Jeb (the new programmer, will be working web development and helping out in minecraft) and Jakob (the game developer/designer/programmer who will be leading the new game). They will both write a short text introducing themselves and I will post it here. You might already have seen Jeb around the community in different places.

We will eventually set up a company wide blog somewhere where everyone can post. Perhaps this is a chance to finally use mojang.com for something. There’s no real plan to migrate away from this blog, so we’ll see how things play out. I like this one too much personally to just quit it!

One fun thing about starting a new company is choosing your hardware. I went for a “decent gaming computer” with “dual widescreen monitors”, and a Logitech MX518 mouse and a Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent. I guess I’m really picky when it comes to input, but I don’t really care about the rest, heh. :D
The two business/management-people went for MacBooks. Of course.

And finally I’d like to recommend two awesome new indie games:

Super Crate Box (Windows) by Vlambeer
Available for absolutely free here: http://www.supercratebox.com/
Super Crate Box is an action platformer based around a fairly simple mechanic. Pick up a crate to get a point, but when you do, you replace your current weapon with a random new one. You can either kill enemies or just avoid them, and the crates spawn in random location. It gets really hectic after a while, but it’s very rewarding.
A controller (like an XBox 360 controller) is highly recommended.

Super Meat Boy (XBox 360 Live Arcade) by Team Meat
Available for a small pile of Microsoft points on XBox Live Arcade
Super Meat Boy is a frustration platformer based around being amazing. You play an extremely fragile chunk of meat, wall sliding, sprinting and jumping across a scary large amount of levels. The level design is amazingly perfect, and the game is filled with homages to other games.
You will die a lot, though.
Fun fact; the Minecraft guy (Steve?) might make it in as an unlockable character in the pc version :D

posted 2 weeks ago | 254 Comments and 0 Reactions

← back in time Page 1 of 69

Opinions, rants, screenshots and demos from an up and coming indie game developer.

Twitter!
It's Dungeonquest, and night fell the very next turn, killing all four players immediately. Awesome game.
about 18 hours ago
Stuck in the catacombs with 4 turns left, max: http://twitpic.com/34tfsr
about 19 hours ago
So exciting! @jahkob starts his Mojang job tomorrow, and we get our office one week later!
1 day ago
@ceolwulf hmm.. Interesting. I think it works well for MySql, so I don't think it'll be horrible for java
1 day ago
Ooh and @C418 even though he's not in Sweden! #ff #sorry
2 days ago
follow me on Twitter

Archive
Random Post
tumblrist theme
by topherchris.