4M4Life.com

MTG Standard type 2 is becoming more and more one sided

Offline ChickanBone

• Never fear... Chickan is here!
MTG Standard type 2 is becoming more and more one sided
« on: February 21, 2011, 02:20:54 AM »
Right now Boros and Valkut Ramp are very powerful and almost near unbeatable there are few cards in standard that take care of either situation..

With Hero of BladeHold and Hero of Oxid Ridge Boros is now going to be the top deck and kill you way faster than it normally would have! Turn 4 day is now obsolete in Blue/White control!! or any other White control deck you have to run Black to situate yourself for the first 4 turns and even then they will come back hitting harder with more Heroes!!!

Valkut ramp in the new set has Thrun the Last Troll!! With this on the field the only thing able to take care of him is a Day of Judgement but only when he doesn't have mana untapped which is rarely because he can just regenerate him You can't counter him you can't target him and you can't kill him haha he is a big 4/4 on the field for the rest of the game and added with the Green Titan he won't be going anywhere!!
Combos!
Valkut Ramp

Turn 4 or maybe even turn 3 with Summoning Traps Primeval Titan comes out searching
for 2 Molten pinnicales making the 3 mountains on your field already available or
if you had 4 then next turn you hit for 6 search for 2 mountains play them that deals
12 damage and then the mountain drop you have gives an added 3 and if you had a harrow
in your had that's another 12 damage.. all because of a land with lack of "Destroy Land"
cards... Thrun is your safety card he will win you the game almost always!

That is overkill unless you are wasting mana and rephase on life which is useless if you can't stop it!
Boros Red White

Turn 1 you play your goblin guide and swing for 2
turn 2 you play another swinging for 4 that's 6 so far
turn 3 play a signal pest hit for another 4 that is 10
turn play 4 Hero of Oxid Ridge hits the field swing all out for 14 that is a total of 24 if he had a wall of omens
that would have blocked 4 damage you are dead unless you went first and played a day turn 4 living with 10 life!

InkMoth Shape Anew Deck

This is a heavy hitter due to the fact it speaks for itself you control the whole game until you get to shape anew turn 5
pay 1 and use that one to turn your inkmoth into an artifact shape anew that with the only artifact you are running being BlightSteel infect deals damage in poison counters a player only needs 10 to lose therefore he kills you the turn after with one hit he cannot be destroyed the onlything able to destroy him is to exile him!
just incase they are running black you can run the Duress to look into their hand the turn before and get rid of this card

I've played against all 3 of these decks at FNM with my Black/White control I have won because I know how to play them
but they are pumped and much harder to take down than a normal deck 0/4 games you will win against these if you
aren't prepared. I've lost so many more times though to them.
[4mdouble][4mdouble]

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
Re: MTG Standard type 2 is becoming more and more one sided
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:25:35 AM »
wow that first set of three cards have  [cen] ed up casting costs compared to their effects. I like pre-2000 MtG because it was before every card had to be special and creatures had stacks and stacks of buffs. Now you can equip creatures with armor and weapons and shit, when back in the day there were creatures that WERE armor and weapons.

These land cards displayed are unbalanced as well. Before, non-basic lands with special perks had counters to limit how often they could be used, or had a consequence if used, such as losing a life to tap it.

Decks have a 60 card limit for a reason: you should need more than three cards to win a match, but theres been crazy unbalanced shit for a decade now that make having 60 cards useless. you only need like 15 cards to have an effective side-board if playing a variety of opponents.

Theres also a TON of card combos that will score you an under 10 turns victory, what ever happened to games that required 30-40 turns per game? Or actually USING your deck!?

Also, with the whole Equipment thing, MtG is about being a Magician, not an armory. Magicians cast enchantments to buff summons, not strap armor and weapons to their summons. Also also theres a  [cen] ton of artifact creatures over the last 5 years with artifact abilities and affinities, it should be its own color by now since they beefed them up so damn much. Artifact-only decks never worked back in the day but now they can stand on their own without any balancing factors compared to the  colored spells.

[kata]

Offline Red

• Elite Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Executive Taco Consumer
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:18:54 PM »
The MTG game and community has been changing a lot recently in the past few years since I quit tournaments. Its almost a completely different game now. Many MTG players have been creating their own formats in order to have fun since Wizards has been creating so many broken sets.

BTW, I am very surprised I have control here still. ;3

Offline ChickanBone

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »
Hell yeah they broke standard they banned two cards Jace The MindSculptor and a RARE a RAAAAre of all things the deck was called CAW blade a better CAW go, and the card was StoneForge Mystic one of the gayest cards in the game for standard :///!!! bROKEN!!!
[4mdouble][4mdouble]

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
Its always good for cards to be made that are impossible to use in tourney play, so long as they are lore-oriented.

[kata]

Offline ChickanBone

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:49:02 AM »
All I know is I quit magic right when Jace Was at his prime it's gone to crap.

I won't start playing again until I see a decently structured Core Set that doesn't blow!
[4mdouble][4mdouble]