4M4Life.com

Writer's Block

Offline Omega

• Psychokinetic
    • Overstand Basics
Writer's Block
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:22:20 AM »
I don't fully know what's causing this Writer's Block, might be self-doubt. All I know is, I can write a single poem, short story or even really draw something solid. The steams of creativity are blocked. Any ideas how to clear it? [hide]
Open for art commissions! Check out my portfolio for contact info and take a look at my art gallery. Thank you. :)

<<The Land of 4M!>>

Twitter: @overstandbasics
Art Gallery: skyeomega.deviantart.com
Portfolio: http://overstandbasics.tumblr.com/post/149212339364/overstandbasicsportfolio

Offline Wesker

• Veronica Hates Me
    • Marv The Zombie
Re: Writer's Block
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:31:07 AM »
Do what Guy Picciotto does--write about writer's block!
Awesome Points: 585

http://wesker.flashcartoons.org

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*Minor Threat*`·¸.´*****
*******`·.¸(¨`Forever·´¨)..·´*******
**************`·.¸.·´************

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 10:03:59 AM »
i go through artist/writers block too, what i try to do is force myself to do it then

the drawings or whatever might come out bad, but i usually overcome the block after that

if that doesn't work, i try to do things i like and try to change my mood

Offline Nocturnous

• Overlord lvl 99
  • aka "Trav"
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
You need to stimulate the right side of your brain more. Try listening to music or watching something on TV while writing. If you're not on a deadline and just writing for personal reasons, then never force it. 

You'll hear "professional" writers constantly bragging about their ability to write on bad days. But most of what they churn out is complete garbage. Another thing you can do: work on your craft in your downtime (e.g., structure, grammar, and style). I adhere to a combination of the AP Stylebook and The Chicago Manuel of Style. Sometimes, I look to Bill Walsh's Lapsing Into a Comma for guidance (your editor's preferences really become yours).

If your left side is just dominating, then feed it facts. I am a fan of writing on the go, and it's good practice to write descriptively about the physical places surrounding you. If I really like the end result, I'll put it into one of my stories; this saves me a lot of time.

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 07:54:02 AM »
When it comes to writing I am terrible. I picked up books on grammar and writing. Half way though one of them.

Maybe my cartoons will get better stories!

Offline Nocturnous

• Overlord lvl 99
  • aka "Trav"
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
When it comes to writing I am terrible. I picked up books on grammar and writing. Half way though one of them.

Maybe my cartoons will get better stories!

Well, here's a quick tip: always put a comma after an introductory clause. [When it comes to writing, I am terrible.] Don't be afraid to use "and" as a dependent conjoining coordinator twice in a sentence. (e.g., "I picked up books on grammar and writing and am halfway through them.) Although, that's too colloquial and awkward sounding for me. I'd probably use a semicolon and make both of them independent or rewrite it completely.

[jive]

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »
thanks man, i feel like im in school! learning stuffs!

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »
smoke weed erry day

[kata]

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »
Well sounds like you need a day to get away, eat some pizza hut pizza and watch harry potter.

Offline Omega

• Psychokinetic
    • Overstand Basics
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 03:56:20 AM »
smoke weed erry day
>play musick erry day
[music]

Thanks for the advice all. I'm slowly pulling myself out of a month and 2 week long runt. The only thing I'm really sweating is still trying to find a jawb.
Open for art commissions! Check out my portfolio for contact info and take a look at my art gallery. Thank you. :)

<<The Land of 4M!>>

Twitter: @overstandbasics
Art Gallery: skyeomega.deviantart.com
Portfolio: http://overstandbasics.tumblr.com/post/149212339364/overstandbasicsportfolio

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 08:13:30 AM »
you will find it just keep looking!

become a bouncer! they might help pay for your martial arts classes