4M4Life.com

Education chief favors longer school year

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
Education chief favors longer school year
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:57:17 AM »
Story Highlights
-Education secretary: U.S. students at "competitive disadvantage" with other countries
-Longer school year among options considered to boost student performance
-"We can't afford to get worse now," Secretary Arne Duncan says
-Stimulus money will help schools keep teachers in jobs, Duncan says

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/27/education.school.year/index.html

Those lazy days of summer may become a thing of the past if the new secretary of education has his way.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan suggests giving incentives to teachers whose students perform well.

Arne Duncan, the Cabinet secretary charged with overhauling America's educational system, is studying programs that keep kids in school longer to boost their academic achievements.

"When I go out and talk about that, that doesn't always make me popular with students. They like the long summers," Duncan said in an interview Wednesday with CNN conducted in the Education Department's library.

But Duncan said American students are "at a competitive disadvantage" because the United States has shorter school years than other countries such as India and China.

"It doesn't matter how poor, how tough the family background, socioeconomic challenges," Duncan said. "Where students have longer days, longer weeks, longer years -- that's making a difference."

More time in school is one of several ideas under consideration as Duncan settles into his new role.

Video: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/27/education.school.year/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Kinjo note: I actually think this is a good idea, after i graduated HS i knew nothing of the real world, they dont prepare you for anything. For us to keep up with other countries, we should goto school more. Think about it, after you graduate forced school k-12, then you have to PAY to get into college and then use that paper to find a job. Would be better to learn traits in high school to be more prepared for the future.
Dont hate me...  [usuck]

Offline Red

• Elite Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Executive Taco Consumer
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Education chief favors longer school year
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:03:02 PM »
I'll be honest, I don't really need that long summer vacation. I usually don't have anything to do anyway. This may be a good idea.

So, I will agree with your views Kinjo!

Offline Pryce321

• Neko Master!
  • \(≧∇≦)/(=w=) ಥ﹏ಥ
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 11:00:07 PM »
Kinjo I have to agree with you on the not preparing for the real world part. They honestly stuff our heads with utterly useless things while making things that would be useful in the future such as finance and many career related classes optional. But most kids who are putting forth more effort take extra classes such as AP classes therfore losing more chances to attend classes that will truly prepare them for the time when they are thrown into a working and more then likely parental setting. I personaly dont care too much about schools lenght but would want a near complete revision of the curriculum.
Awesome Points: 575

Offline Wesker

• Veronica Hates Me
    • Marv The Zombie
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:38:11 PM »
Eh, I still like having my long summers. Gives me alotta time to film my homemade action movies and sit on my ass in the sun alot. Good times.
Awesome Points: 585

http://wesker.flashcartoons.org

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*Minor Threat*`·¸.´*****
*******`·.¸(¨`Forever·´¨)..·´*******
**************`·.¸.·´************

Offline black death

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:41:34 PM »
Story Highlights
-Education secretary: U.S. students at "competitive disadvantage" with other countries
-Longer school year among options considered to boost student performance
-"We can't afford to get worse now," Secretary Arne Duncan says
-Stimulus money will help schools keep teachers in jobs, Duncan says

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/27/education.school.year/index.html

Those lazy days of summer may become a thing of the past if the new secretary of education has his way.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan suggests giving incentives to teachers whose students perform well.

Arne Duncan, the Cabinet secretary charged with overhauling America's educational system, is studying programs that keep kids in school longer to boost their academic achievements.

"When I go out and talk about that, that doesn't always make me popular with students. They like the long summers," Duncan said in an interview Wednesday with CNN conducted in the Education Department's library.

But Duncan said American students are "at a competitive disadvantage" because the United States has shorter school years than other countries such as India and China.

"It doesn't matter how poor, how tough the family background, socioeconomic challenges," Duncan said. "Where students have longer days, longer weeks, longer years -- that's making a difference."

More time in school is one of several ideas under consideration as Duncan settles into his new role.

Video: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/27/education.school.year/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Kinjo note: I actually think this is a good idea, after i graduated HS i knew nothing of the real world, they dont prepare you for anything. For us to keep up with other countries, we should goto school more. Think about it, after you graduate forced school k-12, then you have to PAY to get into college and then use that paper to find a job. Would be better to learn traits in high school to be more prepared for the future.
Dont hate me...  [usuck]

umm. if there is longer days and longer years it will be harder for us to get the cash to GET into college.
Awesome points: 100
[refle]http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2449/sig1kq3.png[/refle]

Cewt Addy Bunny 6:08 pm
    o.o
    you could whore yourself out

_███_
(ಠ_ృ)