4M4Life.com

8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan, Tokyo Damaged

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan, Tokyo Damaged
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:22:25 AM »
Japanese television has shown major tsunami damage in northern Japan, following an earthquake that has been upgraded to 8.8.

Public broadcaster NHK showed cars, trucks, houses and buildings being swept away by the tsunami in Onahama city in Fukushima prefecture.

Scores of cars were seen floating in Iwate prefecture harbour, local TV said.

Japan earlier issued its top tsunami warning in response to the major offshore earthquake, which strongly swayed buildings 400 kilometres away in Tokyo and sent people fleeing onto the streets.

The meteorological agency issued its top-level evacuation alerts for the entire Japanese coast, Russia and the Mariana Islands, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said.

It warned of a tsunami of up to six metres. Smaller tsunamis of up to 50cm reached some coastal communities, the agency said.

The quake struck about 382km northeast of Tokyo, offshore, the US Geological Survey reported.

Smoke could be seen rising from a building in Tokyo port.

Shinkansen bullet trains stopped when the quake struck, while Tokyo port has shut all 19 of its water gates as it prepares for the tsunami.

Japan’s Coast Guard is halting ships on their way to entering Tokyo’s port,said Takashi Mifune, spokesman for the Bureau of Port and Harbor of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.

Japan’s meteorological agency said the quake struck at 2.46pm (4.46pm AEDST) local time at a depth of 10km, 125km off the eastern coast.

Footage on national broadcaster NHK from their Sendai office showed employees stumbling around and books and papers crashing from desks.

Police and coast guard officials said they were assessing possible damage from the quake.

The yen tumbled against the dollar after the quake, falling to 83.30 against the dollar from 82.81 before the quake struck.

Several quakes had hit the same region in recent days, including a 7.3 magnitude one on Wednesday.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/killer-tsunami-surges-across-japan-after-89-quake-20110311-1bqym.html

I sure hope tokyo is there when i finally get to visit japan. This is sad...

Offline Omega

• Psychokinetic
    • Overstand Basics
Re: 8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan, Tokyo Damaged
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:10:16 PM »
I saw the most ignorant series of Fb status updates commenting on the tsunami that his Japan. Long story short, many people feel it was karma for Japan taking out Pearl Harbor. I was like "... wut... seriously? :I"
Open for art commissions! Check out my portfolio for contact info and take a look at my art gallery. Thank you. :)

<<The Land of 4M!>>

Twitter: @overstandbasics
Art Gallery: skyeomega.deviantart.com
Portfolio: http://overstandbasics.tumblr.com/post/149212339364/overstandbasicsportfolio

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »
they must of forgot about the bombing, or to young to know better

Offline Adelaide

• ♥ Ich bin dein Kaninchen! ♥ ⊂(˙ワ˙)⊃
    • PLURtanz
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:26:48 AM »
too*

And yeah, Japan got their karma when we dropped THREE ATOM BOMBS on them and gave generations upon generations of Japanese leukemia- took them a heck of a lot longer to recover from our bombing than it took us to recover from Pearl Harbor. Your friends are either uneducated or they are ignorant jerks. :u
I am the creator of awesome points and therefore I have a never ending supply.
10 Luffle Points~!

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)* *********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*ZombieHugs*`·¸.´******
*******`·.¸(¨`· Forever·´¨)..·´********
**************`·.¸.·´********* ******
[refle]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_22_05_09_12_36_39.png[/refle]

[img]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_27_08_09_1_54_05.

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:37:08 AM »
still it is sad, but japan will pull through