Offline Pryce321

• Neko Master!
  • \(≧∇≦)/(=w=) ಥ﹏ಥ
Pryce's Anime Review: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:01:28 PM »
Took me long enough.....
Title: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Genre: Mecha, Sci-fi

General Info: In a far away future, mankind lives underground in huge caves, unknowing of a world above with a sky and stars.

In the small village of Jiha, Simon, a shy boy who works as a digger discovers a strange glowing object during excavation. The enterprising Kamina, a young man with a pair of rakish sunglasses and the passion of a firey sun, befriends Simon and forms a small band of brothers, the Gurren Brigade, to escape the village and break through the ceiling of the cave to reach the surface, which few believe exist.

The village elder won't hear of such foolishness and punishes the Brigade. However, when disaster strikes from the world above and the entire village is in jeopardy, it's up to Simon, Kamina, a girl with a big gun named Yoko, and the small yet sturdy robot, Lagann, to save the day.

The new friends journey to the world above and find that the surface is a harsh battlefield, and it's up to them to fight back against the rampaging Beastmen to turn the tide in the humans' favor!

Number of Episodes: 27
Original Run: Apr 1, 2007 to Sep 30, 2007

Characters:

Simon: Simon is the protagonist of the story, a short and un-intimidating fourteen year old boy at the beginning of this tale. He was born in Jiiha Village and was raised by his parents until the age of seven, when his parents were killed in an underground avalanche caused by an earthquake. Their deaths traumatized Simon to the point of both hating and fearing life underground, and likely played a role in developing his relationship with Kamina. Ironically, Simon's role in his community was to dig more tunnels and caverns to expand Jiiha Village deeper underground.

Though valued as a skilled digger, Simon was ignored by the adults of his village and snubbed by the girls, who considered him disgusting. Along with his fear of earthquakes, Simon developed low self-esteem and had many cowardly tendencies. His only friend and role model growing up was Kamina, a brash and eccentric older boy who had an obsession with escaping the underground world for the surface, which he visited as a child with his father. Simon was slowly "recruited" into Team Gurren along with several other boys, and lead by Kamina made several attempts to reach the surface over several years. During one attempt, a sudden earthquake trapped Team Gurren within a chamber and cut off the supply of oxygen. Simon began to panic, but after inspiration from Kamina he managed to dig all of the Team Gurren members out of danger. Yoko would later recall that Kamina himself was terrified during this incident, but he hid his fear from Simon knowing Simon was the only one capable of rescuing his gang.

One day during the digging of a new tunnel, Simon discovers a small drill-shaped object that periodically glows. Later that day, he unearths a large "face" in the ground, which he shows to Yoko and Kamina after Jiiha Village is attacked by a large Gunmen. The face is revealed to be a miniature Gunmen, and the object Simon dug up the key to starting it up. With the aid of this mech, which Kamina names "Lagann", Simon destroys the large Gunmen attacking Jiiha and rises to the surface world.

Kamina: Kamina is a young man from Jiiha village who dreams of leaving the village and go to the surface, which he saw as a kid. He's very passionate about his goals, expressing his wishes through energetic speeches, which seems to affect all those who hear him. He convinces Simon to help him with his plan to drill through the roof of the village and get to the world above, but the plan failed and he was put in prison. He left the village shortly thereafter with the help of Simon and a young girl named Yoko, as a result of fighting a Gunmen, who broke into the village from the surface.

Yoko Littner: Yoko is a girl from Jeeha's neighboring village Littner, who had been chasing the Gunmen which entered Jeeha village. She wields an extensive range of firearms which include a long range sniper rifle (which she uses most frequently) modeled after the Barrett M82 and hand guns (which can be assumed is used for midrange or close combat) and has previous experience fighting Gunmen. Although she is of the same age group as Simon, she is mature and one of the most rational of the group.

Opening:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ79TVffpB8[/youtube]

My Review: Gurren Lagann is a series that gets better as it goes on. The battles are so over the top I can only describe this series as Gundam + DBZ. The plot however becomes slightly less interesting as it goes on but is so flashy you tend to not be paying much attention to it anyways.
My Rating: 4/5
Drills: So many I think this series might be one big euphemism
Awesome Points: 575

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
Re: Pryce's Anime Review: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »
noice review, sounds like something I'd watch. Nice work PRYCE!

[kata]

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »
this is one i wanted to see, i saw a bit of it on syfy channel, but i didnt know what was going on

would like to start from the beginning

Offline wurm breeder

• I wanna be com amata when I grow up.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!?" PUUUNNCH!!!!!
60 Awesome points. huzzah!

Offline Soda Scarlet

• I are me! :)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 09:04:36 AM »
Dont belive in yourself, Belive in me who belive in you! - Kamina
(;;;)