Pryce's Anime Review: Strike Witches

Offline Pryce321

• Neko Master!
  • \(≧∇≦)/(=w=) ಥ﹏ಥ
Pryce's Anime Review: Strike Witches
« on: November 30, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »
Title: Strike Witches

Genre(s): Action, Supernatural

General Info: The story takes place on an alternate Earth in a time period equivalent to our late 1930’s and 40’s. In order to repel an invasion by a mysterious entity bent on conquering Earth, the various superpowers have combined forces to develop a weapon system consisting of a melding of technology and magic that allows the human body to merge with technological components.

Number of Episodes: 12
Original Run: Jul 3, 2008 to Sep 18, 2008

Sequel: Strike Witches 2

Characters:

Yoshika Miafuji: The main character of the series, age fourteen and hailing from the Fuso Empire. A typical young girl who comes from a family of clinicians who use their magic powers to heal people. Yoshika gains the features of a mame-shiba when using said power. Her father designed the Striker Units the Strike Witches use to fight. However, because her father died in the war she is vehemently against fighting when Mio Sakamoto appears to recruit her. Yoshika has a talent for cooking, but tends to care more about her food's health benefits than its taste, such as when she introduced the other Witches to natto. Carries a 13mm Type99 Machine gun along with a M712 in battle. Her Striker Unit is modeled after the A6M Zero and she is based on the ace Kaneyoshi Mutoh.

Mio Sakamoto: The first Strike Witch and sub-commander of the unit, with the commissioned rank of Squadron Leader and official rank of Major. Mio is also the oldest witch at nineteen (later, twenty) years old and, like Yoshika, comes from Fuso. She is seemingly the toughest and most mature of the Witches, being an experienced veteran of the early fighting against the Neuroi. She knew Yoshika's father while he was first designing the Striker Unit and was the first person to pilot one. Her usual task is to train new recruits, and in this role she becomes a very strict disciplinarian, appropriately gaining the ears and tail of a Doberman when equipped with her Striker. Otherwise she is quite friendly, if a little too forward at times, with a very distinct laugh. Under Mio's eyepatch is a magic eye that grants her increased visual prowess and the ability to spot Neuroi cores when used. Carries a 13mm Type99 Machine-gun into a battle along with a magical katana strapped to her back capable of cutting apart giant Neuroi. Her Striker Unit is based on the A6M Zero and she herself is based on Saburo Sakai and Tetsuzō Iwamoto.

Lynette Bishop: Fifteen years old, Lynette is the only Witch in the 501st who is native to the Britannia Federation. The middle child of eight sisters, Lynette developed very domestic and practical habits from helping to take care of her siblings. Similarly domestic is the Scottish Fold, from which her Striker-equipped animal features are based. Plagued by occasional clumsiness and sometimes overlooked, she nevertheless strives to do her best. Holds the rank of Sergeant and her affiliation is the Royal Air Force 610th Fighter Squadron. Her armaments are a Mk. I Boys Anti-tank Rifle and a Bren light machine gun. She serves as the squadron's sharpshooter and possesses an almost magical degree of eyesight similar to Mio's. Her Striker Unit is based on the Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX, and her pilot archetype is Billy Bishop. Lynette also has an older sister, Wilma, who is also a Strike Witch and likely based on Billy Bishop's son, Arthur.

Minna-Dietlinde Wilke: The ranking officer of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing at eighteen years old, Minna has a sisterly air that shows her concern for those under her command. Whether in or out of battle, her first priority is the safety of her subordinates. Her more gentle demeanor means that she often acts as the "good cop" to Mio's "bad cop" when it comes to discipline. Alluding to her namesake, Minna gains wolf features when equipped for combat. Holds the commissioned rank of Wing commander, official rank of Lieutenant Colonel, and her affiliation is the Karlsland JG 3 Luftwaffe. During combat she arms herself with an MG42. Her Striker Unit model is the Messerschmitt Bf-109G-2 and her ace pilot archetype is Wolf-Dietrich Wilcke.

Gertrud Barkhorn: Eighteen year old Witch from Karlsland; a Flight Lieutenant formerly of the Luftwaffe JG 52. Quiet, efficient, and private, Gertrud tends to support her comrades from the shadows. Her naturally calm attitude grants her great battlefield stamina, allowing her to rack up an impressive shot-down tally. A long-time acquaintance of Minna and Erica, she is often seen supporting the former. In flight she gains the features of a German Wirehaired Pointer. For battle her armament consists of an MG42, MG131, or MG151 which she dual wields. Her Striker Unit is based on the Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-6 and her pilot archetype is Gerhard Barkhorn.

Erica Hartmann: Karlsland's sixteen year old "ultra ace" of the Luftwaffe JG 52 with more than 200 confirmed victories and the rank of Flying Officer. While extremely efficient and strategic in battle, Erica is surprisingly sloppy with her belongings and often neglects cleaning tasks. With her Striker Unit equipped, Erica gains Dachshund features. A serious individual. Her armaments are the MG42 and a MP40. Her Striker Unit is based on the Messerschmitt Bf-109G-6 and her ace archetype is Erich Hartmann.

Charlotte E Yeager: A sixteen year old girl hailing from the United States of Liberion with the rank of Flight Leiutenant. Magnanimous in character and buxom in appearance, Charlotte is a thrill-seeker who is fascinated by speed. Like a speedy hare, she gains the ears and tail of a rabbit when equipped with her Striker. Concerned with cleanliness, Charlotte had her personal bath transported all the way to the Strike Witches' Britannia base when she was transferred from the Liberion Army 363rd Fighter Wing. In combat her armament can consist of a M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle, Thompson M1 A1, or Colt Government M1911 A1. The P-51D Mustang serves as the basis for her Striker Unit, while she herself is based on Chuck Yeager.

Francesca Lucchini: Joining the 501st from the Duchy of Romagna, Francesca is the youngest soldier of the unit at a mere twelve years. Her rank is that of a Warrant officer and her unit affiliation was with Romagna's Regia Aeronautica 4th Air Unit. Francesca is often childish and self-indulgent, shirking training and other duties in order to have fun around the base or nap. However, in battle she displays a true talent and passion for flying. Also displayed are the ears and tail of a black leopard. Good friends with the similarly casual Charlotte. During battles she carries a M1919 A6, Breda-SAFAT 12.7 mm machine gun, or Beretta Model 1938A. Her Striker Unit is based on the G.55 Centauro, and her ace archetype is Franco Lucchini.

Perrine H Clostermann: A wealthy and proper fifteen year old Gallian girl who looks down on some of the less-refined habits of her peers. The emotional scars left by the Neuroi's destruction of her homeland cause her numerous problems. She often refuses to work as a team, and develops something of a dislike for the upstart newcomer Yoshika due to her attachment to Mio. When wearing her Striker Unit, she gains the dark ears and tail of a Chartreux. Perrine holds the rank of Flying Officer and her original unit was the Armée de l'Air 802nd Flying Corps. Carries a rapier into battle along with a Bren light machine-gun. Her Striker Unit is based on the Arsenal VG 39 and she is named after Pierre Clostermann.

Eila Ilmatar Juutilainen: The fifteen year old top ace of the Suomus Air Force 24th Unit with the rank of Flying Officer. Eila's hobby is fortune-telling with tarot cards, although the accuracy of her predictions is questionable at best. Somewhat mischievous, like the black fox whose features she gains in flight. She has a talent for analyzing the thoughts and feelings of her companions, and this skill translates well to the battlefield where her judgment is used to consistently outwit her opponents. In combat her weapons of choice are the MG42 and Suomi M1931 submachine gun. Eila's Striker Unit is based on the Messerschmitt Bf-109G-2 and she herself is based on Eino Ilmari Juutilainen.

Sanya V Litvyak: The single Witch out of the Orussia Empire at thirteen years old. Preferring to stay indoors during the day, Sanya has been described as "nocturnal." At times she is literally asleep on her feet, counting on Eila to move her around. Despite this somewhat limiting her contact with the other members of the 501st, her low profile makes her ideal for night missions and sneak attacks. Gains the ears and tail of a black cat with her Striker Unit equipped. Sanya's rank is Flying Officer and her original unit affiliation is the Orussia Imperial Army 586th Fighter Regiment. Her weapon of choice is a modified Fliegerfaust called the "Fliegerhummer." Her Striker Unit design is based on the MiG60 (a fictional warbird combining features of the MiG-1, MiG-3, and Yakovlev Yak-1) and her pilot archetype is Lydia Litvyak.

Opening:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSaqvhvnAgI[/youtube]

My Review: Despite being an anime with large amounts of fanservice, Strike Witches does not make that the main focus. The story, though not as deep as one might hope, is fairly well presented and backed up by well done combat scenes.

My Rating: 4.25/5
Number of characters who wear pants: 0
Awesome Points: 575

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
Re: Pryce's Anime Review: Strike Witches
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 03:33:03 AM »
YEAH NEKO MILITARY GIRLS xD

I've known about this and was planning to watch. now im FOR SURE gonna watch it! thanks for the review, PRYCE

[kata]

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:36:11 AM »
lol, fw loves his military

i am more of a ninja man

Offline Adelaide

• ♥ Ich bin dein Kaninchen! ♥ ⊂(˙ワ˙)⊃
    • PLURtanz
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:25:34 AM »
KINJO'S A NINJA? =O

Also!

AWESOME REVIEW PRYCE =D KEEP EM COMING

[heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart] [heart]
I am the creator of awesome points and therefore I have a never ending supply.
10 Luffle Points~!

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)* *********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*ZombieHugs*`·¸.´******
*******`·.¸(¨`· Forever·´¨)..·´********
**************`·.¸.·´********* ******
[refle]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_22_05_09_12_36_39.png[/refle]

[img]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_27_08_09_1_54_05.

Offline Nestec

• Elite Roleplay Moderator
  • "Live like tomorrow is not a promise..."
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:46:28 AM »
Not to sound nitpicky or anything, Pryce, but do you think you can try making your Reviews a little bit more in-depth? I mean, the score + short statement is nice, but I feel like it could use a little more in giving everyone else the big picture on what the anime's strengths and weaknesses are.

[clefairy]
: :  N E S T E C  : :

Offline Pryce321

• Neko Master!
  • \(≧∇≦)/(=w=) ಥ﹏ಥ
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »
I mean, I give a plot overview, character intros, and what I thought was good about it and in some cases where it failed. I don't see exactly how I could go into that much more detail without citing specific episodes.

Offline OMUTSU

• RAZER
    • OMUTSU
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
you could send me the dvd. that'll slove everything. but anyways, i tried looking for eps out on the net, but i could only find a third of the first episode on youtube. guess it will take a little more time for the eps to spread around

Offline Flashwerewolf

• 4M4Life
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 11:26:16 PM »
or dont go to youtube!

[kata]

Offline Adelaide

• ♥ Ich bin dein Kaninchen! ♥ ⊂(˙ワ˙)⊃
    • PLURtanz
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 01:19:23 AM »
youtube is no good for animes
I am the creator of awesome points and therefore I have a never ending supply.
10 Luffle Points~!

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)* *********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*ZombieHugs*`·¸.´******
*******`·.¸(¨`· Forever·´¨)..·´********
**************`·.¸.·´********* ******
[refle]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_22_05_09_12_36_39.png[/refle]

[img]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_27_08_09_1_54_05.

Offline OMUTSU

• RAZER
    • OMUTSU
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 01:27:46 AM »
youtube is the last place i got to for anime, but suprisingly thats the only place that i found that has it.

Offline Pryce321

• Neko Master!
  • \(≧∇≦)/(=w=) ಥ﹏ಥ
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »
I just torrent my anime (I buy it when I can but I don't usually have the money) it lets you have the best quality.

Offline OMUTSU

• RAZER
    • OMUTSU
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 01:24:14 AM »
anime crazy is where i go mainly. i rarely watch the same anime twice, and you can watch it instantly, which is rather convenient

Offline Flashwerewolf

• 4M4Life
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 03:47:36 AM »
I use Animefreak! their new system is uber awesome

[kata]

Offline OMUTSU

• RAZER
    • OMUTSU
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 09:30:22 AM »