4M4Life.com

Wal-Mart dumps HD DVDs to back Blu-ray

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« on: February 15, 2008, 04:56:16 PM »

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT.N) has decided to exclusively sell high-definition DVDs in the Blu-Ray format, dealing what could be a crippling blow to the rival HD DVD technology backed by Toshiba Corp (6502.T).

ADVERTISEMENT

The move by the world's largest retailer, announced on Friday, caps a disappointing week for HD DVD supporters, who also saw consumer electronics chain Best Buy Co Inc (BBY.N) and online video rental company Netflix Inc (NFLX.O) defect to the Blu-ray camp.

In a statement on its Web site, Wal-Mart said that over the next few months it will phase out sales of HD DVD systems and discs. By June, it will sell only products in the Blu-ray format which was developed by Sony Corp (6758.T).

"We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," said Gary Severson, a Wal-Mart senior vice president.

The move affects 4,000 Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores in the United States, as well as related online sites. The stores will continue to sell traditional DVD players and movies.

The so-called format war between HD DVD and Blu-ray has been a thorn in the side of retailers, which have had to commit shelf space to devices from both camps even as they field complaints from frustrated and confused customers.

Next-generation DVDs and players, boasting better picture quality and more capacity, were expected to help revive the $24 billion global home DVD market. But Hollywood studios had initially split their alliances between the two camps, meaning only certain films would play on a consumer's DVD machine.

Like the Betamax-VHS battle in the 1980s, having two DVD standards has dampened sales of both and put retailers in a conundrum of having to either choose sides or sell products that have a chance of becoming obsolete very quickly.

The balance of power, however, tipped toward the Sony camp in January after Time Warner Inc's (TWX.N) Warner Bros studio said it would only release high-definition DVDs in Blu-ray format. With that, studios behind some three-quarters of DVDs are backing Blu-ray, although some release in both formats.

Blu-ray also has support from News Corp's (NWSa.N) 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Co (DIS.N) and Lions Gate Entertainment Corp (LGF.N). Sony's PlayStation 3 game console can also play Blu-ray films.

"So if you bought the HD player like me, I'd retire it to the bedroom, kid's playroom, or give it to your parents to play their John Wayne standard def movies, and make space for a BD player for your awesome Hi Def experience," Wal-Mart's movie and gaming blogger, Susan Chronister, wrote in a posting.

To be sure, Toshiba has secured agreements with studios including NBC Universal's Universal Pictures, Viacom Inc's(VIAb.N) Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc (DWA.N).

Microsoft Corp's (MSFT.O) Xbox 360 also currently works only with HD DVD. However, Microsoft said in January it could consider supporting Blu-ray technology at consumers' behest.

Toshiba could not be reached to comment on Wal-Mart's move.

Earlier on Friday, the Hollywood Reporter quoted unidentified industry sources as saying Toshiba was widely expected to pull the plug on HD DVD in the coming weeks.

Toshiba spokeswoman Junko Furuta said none of what was reported in the magazine had been decided. She declined to comment further, saying: "We cannot comment on speculation."

(Reporting by Franklin Paul; additional reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka in Tokyo; editing by Phil Berlowitz and Gerald E. McCormick)

KINJO NOTE:: i knew blu ray would win

Offline Wesker

• Veronica Hates Me
    • Marv The Zombie
Re: Wal-Mart dumps HD DVDs to back Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 08:34:41 PM »
good for walmart. i still think bluray and hddvd dont need to exist. dvd is still good.
Awesome Points: 585

http://wesker.flashcartoons.org

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*Minor Threat*`·¸.´*****
*******`·.¸(¨`Forever·´¨)..·´*******
**************`·.¸.·´************

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »
Yeah wow walmart finaly did somthing smart, HD, is just compression while Blue ray is a Better total SIZE format and compression, backing HD is like keeping america in the dark ages of technology.

this is a huge Move when you really think about it, it wont make HD extinct but it helps in the financial battle for which one to be more popular.

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:43:23 AM »
sorry for Dp but no one posted Not my fault right?

but Check out his news furhter Bad for HD DVD!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080218/ap_on_hi_te/toshiba_dvd

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 11:02:22 AM »
1 million only bought HD-DVD players.. thats not many

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:23:53 AM »
GOD DAMN IT! when i was 3 years old, all i needed was a freaking video cassete player, when i was around 8, DVD players came around, now, freaking blu-rays, JESUS CHRIST WHY THE HELL CAN'T THE  [cen] ING INDUSTRY JUST LET US SIT WITH SOMETHING FOR A WHILE
Awesome Points: 155
Shin's the perverted hero, he wouldnt stoop to that level.

omegadoomslayer (7:36:13 PM): You, Pryce and Whales are the Trio of Terrible

Cewt Addy Bunny (3:38:58 PM): You are a ­di­­ck.
frashprince55 (3:39:12 PM): Why thank you.

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:48:42 PM »
LOL its always been this way, See the RICH always need somthing new, these formats have been out for like 2 years now, it was just only the rich that owned them.

Technology first goes to the Rich people then 3-5 years later the locals get it and it feels like its just invented to them only now with the internet it can be Knowlegable that the Rich people can have new toys without being rich.

But technology always moves forward even back in the day when i was a kid around the 80's its just kinda being sped up and more commercialized every 3-5 years theres going to be better stuff.

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 02:23:53 PM »
thats kinda gay, i wonder if there will ever be a time where we've reached our peak of technology and in the end revert back to cavemen to restart all over again XD

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:42:46 AM »
Lol, and Historians will find that in the 2nd 30,000 BC that people Owned Sailor Moon DVD's or atleast the One person that the future historians decided to excavate!  [sailor]

black death

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 11:18:07 AM »
i knew about this hole hd dvd thing going down the tube a couple days ago. it was all over the news. that and that meteor falling from the sky.

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
ohh yeah where?

Offline Tomp45

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 04:33:32 PM »
 [cbrick]                                           LOL WOW WALMARTS A JERK

JK!!!
-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)* *********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*        Pie      *`·¸.´******
*******`·.¸(¨`· Forever·´¨)..·´********
**************`·.¸.·´********* ******

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 07:25:17 PM »
wal mart's a  [cen] ing asshole  [>:p]

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 12:44:33 AM »
Stupid Xbox supporting HD DVDs... I knew I should've went with the PS3...  Hopefully they actually come out with a blu-ray add on, otherwise I'm dishing out the cash for the Ps3 when the time comes for a new player.
Don't wanna live, don't wanna be the E-M-P-I-R-E

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 07:06:36 AM »
yeah youll thank yourself for a PS3, it might be over priced but they really make Unbelievably awesom games for it..

black death

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 01:10:24 PM »
ohh yeah where?

west coast usa.

yeah youll thank yourself for a PS3, it might be over priced but they really make Unbelievably awesom games for it..
oh yeah, every thing is so sharp. they also are getting the games that people want to buy for it now.

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »
and like before this cristmas they will have a remake of FF7 for the ps3 and it is gonna be the best game of Our generation.

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »
well compact discs are still used, after the cassette

i think the reason is because artists cant imagine up more than 12-16 songs

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
so still some use!!!

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 11:44:46 AM »
I'm done buying consoles for now. When we get another round of next gen systems, I'll get a Ps3. My 360 and wii are just fine for the time being.
Don't wanna live, don't wanna be the E-M-P-I-R-E