4M4Life.com

Russia Warns Against Space Weapons

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
Russia Warns Against Space Weapons
« on: October 16, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »
MOSCOW (AP) — The chief of Russia's space forces on Thursday said Moscow would have to retaliate if others deploy weapons in space — a stern warning to the United States.

While Col.-Gen. Vladimir Popovkin did not name any specific country, he was clearly referring to U.S. plans for space-based weapons, which the Kremlin had vociferously opposed.

"We don't want to wage a war in space, we don't want to gain dominance in space, but we won't allow any other nation to dominate space," Popovkin said in televised remarks. "If any country deploys weapons in space, then the laws of warfare are such that retaliatory weapons are certain to appear."

President Vladimir Putin has criticized U.S. plans for space-based weapons, saying it could trigger a new arms race.

When China tested an anti-satellite missile in January, Putin said that the move was a response to U.S. plans for space-based weapons.

Russia and China have strongly pushed for an international agreement banning space weapons, but their proposals have been stymied by the United States.

"It's necessary to legalize the game rules in space," Popovkin said. He warned that the complexity of space weapons could trigger a war.

Satellites may fail on technical reasons, but their owner could think they were incapacitated by an enemy and could be tempted to retaliate, Popovkin said.

"If that happens, a nation might ask a legitimate question: could it be the beginning of an effort to deafen and blind it," Popovkin said.

President Bush signed an order last year tacitly asserting the U.S. right to space weapons and opposing the development of treaties or other measures restricting them.

Bush also had pushed an ambitious program for space-based missile defense, and the Pentagon is working on missiles, ground lasers and other technology to shoot down satellites.

The U.S. plans have worried Russia, which also has strongly criticized U.S. plans to deploy missile defense elements in Poland and the Czech Republic. Putin has rejected U.S. assertions that the missile defense sites in Europe were necessary to confront a prospective missile threat from Iran and said they threatened Russia's nuclear deterrent.

The dispute has badly damaged the Russian-U.S. relations, also strained over U.S. criticism of the Kremlin's backsliding on democracy and rifts over global crises.

Popovkin said Russia would modernize components of its air and missile defense systems. He said, in particular, that the military would build a new early warning radar near Armavir in southern Russia's Krasnodar region to replace aging Soviet-built radars it currently shares with Ukraine.

Such radars are intended to detect the launch of an enemy's ballistic missiles.

Popovkin also said that Russia in 2009 would start testing a new generation of satellites to spot missile launches. He said more than 60 military and dual-purpose satellites are currently in orbit.

SOURCE IT CAME FROM

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ixgl6U8cd_Ykk3CAjqcH5pfz9rog

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
Re: Russia Warns Against Space Weapons
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:44:52 PM »
Yay! WWIII!

I wonder if I'll be drafted...

No wait, screw that! HOLA MEXICO! ;(

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
Mexico is gonna get some fallout from those nukes that hit the US, try lower, like Argentina or something.
Awesome Points: 155
Shin's the perverted hero, he wouldnt stoop to that level.

omegadoomslayer (7:36:13 PM): You, Pryce and Whales are the Trio of Terrible

Cewt Addy Bunny (3:38:58 PM): You are a ­di­­ck.
frashprince55 (3:39:12 PM): Why thank you.

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:38:33 PM »
Sweden!

[kata]

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 01:58:18 AM »
its no good news however you look at it.. i actually am kinda suprised on russias stance if only that they dont want them at all and urge us to do the same.. i would agree with that we dont need goverment money wasted but maybe it would pull us out of recesion but.. at what global war hostility cost? i hope we dont go this route ...

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
No.

If you want to be safe, Go to Australia.

No one hates them enough to kill them all.

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 12:00:36 AM »
lol Kill the Kawala bears and Kangaroos lol...

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »
SERIOUSLY!

No one would bother killing them, except maybe the British for being "Prisoners". But still. You get the idea. NO ONE CARES ENOUGH. They're like a floating Canada that doesn't do things that America does. ROFL.

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 09:02:21 AM »
im too old for war! and going to find a deserted island to live on

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 09:57:54 PM »
just live with sailor moon..

Offline Flashwerewolf

• 4M4Life
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 11:12:49 PM »
Ill head straight into the internet for safe keeping

[kata]

Offline tkoold

• The Kool Dude
    • Ranma 1/2 Fans
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 02:10:48 AM »
lol untill all the machines die and stop working because civilization dies and the power running the computers stops and the computers die because no one maintains them..

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 07:31:27 AM »
But you know what, tkoold? Because the internet is gone, no one will care. :<

Where will you find out if people care? WIKIPEDIA? Well TOO BAD. Wikipedia is DEAD!

Offline Flashwerewolf

• 4M4Life
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 11:18:25 PM »
the internet will die only when all the humans are gone

[kata]