4M4Life.com

What does RPG mean to you?

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:30:13 PM »
If taken literally, "Role Playing Game" could be applied to any game, because the player takes on the role of the character to play through the challenges of the game.

Classically, 'RPG' meant having to choose from a number of roles(races,classes,etc etc) to then take on the challenges of the game.

In the console era, 'RPG' as a term for game-play meant a turn-based fighting system which in modern gaming is also coupled with real time combat.

In PC gaming, 'RPG' was used to describe dungeon crawlers, which today have grown to adapt moving storylines and a number of ancient and futuristic timescapes.

Over time, the term has fluctuated to take into account for games in which all starting characters are the same, but through completing challenges, allowed the player to develop their character into something unique to their experience and player preferences.

For a while now I've noticed that RPG has been used to describe a large array of game titles, many of which wouldn't have been considered an RPG in the past.

So what is an RPG? Is it the option of finding your own means to complete a game? Having an open world to explore and develop at your leisure?

[kata]

Offline ChickanBone

• Never fear... Chickan is here!
Re: What does RPG mean to you?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:16:55 AM »
RPG means exactly the same as Alternative Rock to me...

You can throw what ever the hell you want into it >:(

But heck yeahz I believe the old school rpg was like FF and other games where it was a simple character to character bases. idk what I'm talking about.
[4mdouble][4mdouble]

Offline Yoshi-1up

• Kissy Kissy -o-
    • 1up-Island
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:18:50 AM »
i think turn-based automatically like final fantasy or somethin lol. if mmo is added to it, i think WoW right then

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 01:25:38 AM »
It sure is as broad a term as Alternate Rock, I wonder why it is still used. Either are not really informative anymore

[kata]

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »
i think wild arms, ff7, a bunch of sega saturn games, snes games

classic rpg games and that great feeling of playing them