4M4Life.com

Explaining the digital TV switch

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
Explaining the digital TV switch
« on: January 31, 2009, 08:54:54 PM »
So, February 17 is looming. You know, the date when our boring old analog signals are supposed to turn into 1s and 0s and go digital. You know what I’m talking about, right? You’ve seen the commercials all over the TV, I know you have. Right?

Still clueless? You’re not alone.

Digital basically means that: digital vs. an analog signal. Think cassette vs. CD. It doesn’t mean HD. Also, it’s over the air only, so if you have cable you don’t have to worry about it. (Don’t listen if some undereducated or shifty customer-service rep uses the digital TV switchover as an excuse to badger you into buying an HD set-top box.)

If you have cable or satellite TV or already have a set-top box (unfortunately, Tivo’s don’t always count – check here for more info), you’re covered. There’s no need to go out and get anything. Also, if your TV is relatively new it’s digital-ready, so you’re automatically covered.

So who needs to worry? People who get their TV signals off any sort of antenna, bunny ears or aerial, should pay attention. You’re the folks this switchover is aimed at. If your TV isn’t equipped with a digital tuner (ATSC), you’ll need a converter box.

Here’s the next problem: The program that was giving out coupons for these boxes? They’re out of money. I suspect this is because people had no clue whether they needed a box or not and got one, “just in case.” (I know some people out there who claim to be tech-savvy and did exactly that.)

All this confusion has lead President Obama to ask Congress to delay the switchover until June, which some say will lead to even more confusion. The House disagreed, saying the switchover should take place in February as scheduled. Just to muddy the waters even more, there are plans for another House vote on the matter next week.

- cnn (http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/01/30/dtv-whats-all-the-fuss-about/)

YAY! Im not going to be affected!!

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
Re: Explaining the digital TV switch
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:31:02 PM »
i dont watch tv so i wont be affected either

[kata]

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:40:32 AM »
I have cable tv, so no worries here. We are getting satallite in August when we move into our house, so still won't be an issue. Sucks to be people who didn't make the transition yet.
Don't wanna live, don't wanna be the E-M-P-I-R-E

Offline Tomp45

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:03:36 AM »
Digital is more efficient, and travels faster and longer distances.
-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)* *********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*        Pie      *`·¸.´******
*******`·.¸(¨`· Forever·´¨)..·´********
**************`·.¸.·´********* ******

Offline Xicor

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 10:34:44 PM »
Longer distances and faster? Last time I had digital, it took forever.
Awesome Points: 83
[refle]http://4mchan.org/Forum/gallery/1_10_07_09_5_27_21.jpeg[/refle]
[refle]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/jejs07/GogetaandVegito1.png[/refle]

Offline Red

• Elite Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Executive Taco Consumer
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:40:38 AM »
Red also does not watch the television. =_= only the computer screen.

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 08:24:41 AM »
me too, ever since i moved to florida i haven't watched cable