4M4Life.com

Japan: Land Of The Rising Sun

AnimeFreeze

Japan: Land Of The Rising Sun
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:19:16 PM »
[This is a report on Japan's feudal age that I did for school that I decided to bore you with--Edited For Use in browsers. Have fun just don't steal it.]

Japan
Land Of The Rising Sun

A detailed overview on  history, culture, and religion of Japan’s Feudal Age,
Written by Eddie A******.
Nippon-koku , “The Land Of The Rising Sun”

Key:
Overview [001]
History Overview [002]
Kamakura Period [002a]
Muromachi Period [002b]
Azuchi-Momoyama Period [002c]
Timeline [003]
Citations [004]

Part I: Overview [001]

Japan is an island comprised of over 3,000 islands in the Pacific Ocean east of China, Korea, and Russia. The largest islands are Honshu, Hokkaido (the mainland), Kyushu, and Shikoku. All together they make up 97% of Japan’s total area. The islands’ landscapes are mostly mountainous and volcanic, such as how the highest peak in Japan, Mount Fuji, is a volcano. Many of the islands are uninhabitable and cannot be used for industrial or agricultural use. This is because of steep land, high risks of landslides, and climates. The capital of Japan is Tokyo (Edo in earlier times). Research shows the people were living on Japan since 30,000 BC. Japan’s culture has been characterized by outer influences and long periods of isolation (the idea taken from China).

The word Japan is an exonym not used in the Japanese language. Its proper name is Nippon-koku. Its literal translation means “the sun’s origin” which is why it is often called “Land of the Rising Sun”, (and might also be a factor in Japan’s flag). This derived from correspondence with China. However before Japan’s relations with China it was called Yamato and Hi no moto, meaning “Source Of The Sun.” Over the course of time, The Chinese word for Nippon-koku was mistranslated, twisted, and changed. The “new” name was taken back and forth between trade routes and eventually was encountered by Portuguese traders. They brought it to Europe and the country’s name was recorded as Giapan in 1577.

Part II:  Overview of History [002]

As you will see Japan’s history and culture borrows heavily from China’s own actions and influence.

•   Eventually Japan formed into a distinct separate culture filled with poetry, art, and literature.

•   An example of such, during the 790s, Lady Murasaki’s The Tale Of Genji, (the world’s oldest surviving novel) and the lyrics to Japan’s National Anthem (Kima ga Yo) were written.

•   Japan’s feudal age began with the creation of the massive Samurai class (warrior class).

The feudal period of Japan was ruled by Daimyos, powerful regional families, and the military rule of Shoguns (warlords). The Emperor class remained but was turned into a figurehead rather than an all-powerful ruler. The periods of this time are divided into ruling families and shoguns.

The Kamakura Period [002a]
(1185-1333)

The Kamakura Period marked the control of the Kamakura Shogunate. It also marks Japan’s conversion to the medieval age. An age in which In which the court and government were left integral but were relegated to ceremonial functions. Civil, military, and judicial matters were left to the samurai, the most powerful of which was the national “ruler”, the shogun.

In 1185, Minamoto no Yoritomo defeated the Taira Clan and in 1192, Yorimoto was officially selected as Seii Tai-Shogun by the Emperor. He then created a base of power in Kamakura. After Yorimoto died the warrior clan, Hojo, became regents for the shoguns.

An outbreak of violence occurred between rival clans between 1192 and 1272. During this time of disunity and hostility increased in a search for salvation. During this period Buddhism gained great popularity. Jodu Shu, and Zen, two new sects were created and dominated. Monasteries had gained political power.

A harrowing time In the period were the Mongolian Invasions of Japan between 1272 and 1281. An overwhelming amount of Mongol forces totaling over 23,000 troops and 600 ships, which had advanced naval technology and weapons, attempted an all-out invasion of the Japanese islands. A renowned typhoon known as “kamikaze”, translated as “divine wind” in Japanese, was accredited with overwhelming the Mongol Invasion force. Although the invasion was stopped, the repercussions led to the end of the Kamakura shogunate.

The period ended in 1333 with the destruction of the shogunate and the short-living imperial rule of Emperor Go-Daigo.

Muromachi Period [002b]
(1336-1573)

The Muromachi Period marks the leadership of the Ashikaga Shogunate ( a.k.a. Muromachi Shogunate). It was established by Ashikaga Takauji. He obtained power from Emperor Go-Daigo, which ended the Kemmu Restoration. In the early years, The Imperial Court was split into two. This period was stricken with bad governance and civil war. Not until Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, The third shogun, did order appear. He gave greater power to constables, who had limited power in the Kamakura period, and let them become regional leaders. A sort of balance appeared between daimyo and shoguns. Daimyos acted as deputies to shoguns. Eventually, one section of government had more power than the other and other classes weakened, Shoguns lost most of their power to the Daimyos, and eventually succession was useless. Shoguns ideas became useless, and the daimyos blocked their own candidates. Eventually the Ashikaga family had its own succession problems. This resulted in the Onin War, a civil war which fought for control over all of Japan. It lasted for 10 years and left the capital of the Ashikaga family, Kyoto, devastated.

Japan had other threats, as trade increased with Ming China, wokou, or pirates, emerged. Japanese wokou were common in the coasts of China, and attempting to heal the relationship with China, Yoshimitsu signed an agreement that created a tribute system with China and Japan, he even signed a letter to China as, “Your Subject, The King Of Japan.” During this time, Shintoism also emerged as a powerful and dominating religion.

In years from 1467 to the end of the period was known as the Sengoku period (Warring States), a period of severe civil war. This also corresponds with the first contact with the West.

In 1543, western ships first arrived in Japan, known as the Nanban trade. The story goes as follows: A Portuguese ship, blown off its course to China, landed on an island in Japan. From this event firearms would become a major discovery to the Japanese and a major tool, an example of such is the Battle of Nagashino where about 2,000 arquebuses (Riflemen who carried early versions of muskets) in a castle shot down charging samurai attempting a siege.

Later on traders from England , Spain, the Netherlands, Portugal will arrive, and so will Franciscan, Dominican, and Jesuit missionaries.

In 1573 Oda Nubunga overpowered the Ashikaga family and took control of all Japan.

Azuchi-Momoyama Period [002c]
(1568-1600)
The Azuchi-Momoyama Period marked the reunification of the military and the stabilization of the country under one ruler; Done first by Oda Nobunga’s campaigns, and soon after by one of his generals, Toyotomi Hideyoshi. The name for this period comes from Azuchi Castle, and Momoyama Castle.

Nobunga, soon after taking the throne, brilliantly started to overthrow the near-lying provinces of Japan, and gave his generals the order of taking over the outlying ones.
However, in one of his campaigns near Kyoto he was killed by one of his own generals, Akechi Mitsuhide. After this event, Near-chaos emerged as a heir needed to be found, with no help from the death of Nobunga’s only son. Mitushide then took over Nobungas power, Hideyoshi met Mitushide at the Battle of Yamazaki, defeated him, and avenged Nobunga, he then took the title of leader for himself and held that until one of Nobungas sons were old enough to become heir. Hideyoshi continued the fight unity in Japan and complted it, He had unified all of Japan, with a single enemy remaining internally.

With his new found power he took measures to keep unity in Japan, he ordered a land survey, laws to prevent civil war and the banning of weapons owned by farmers and eliminated military checkpoints. In one last campaign, Hideoyoshi sought to conquer Ming China in April 1592, Not allowed passage through Korea, he forced his way through with an army of 200,000. By May he had invaded Seoul and two months later reached Pyongyang, the capital of Korea. When Korea allied with China, China forced the Japanese to retreat in 1593.

When the Chinese Navy also intervened, the Japanese gave up their invasion and had peace talks, When the Japanese asked for outlandish tributes the Chinese saw no reason to treat the losers as equals and denied their requests. A second attempt to invade was done in 1597 but at less success than the first and ended with the death of Hideoyoshi in 1598 at the Battle of Sekigahara. The Japanese scurried home afterwards and fought for control of the shogunate.

Part III: Timeline [003]

(1192-1600)
•   1192: The emperor appoints Yoritomo as shogun (military leader) with a residence in Kamakura, establishing the bakufu system of government
•   1199: Minamoto Yoritomo dies
•   1207: Hōnen and his followers are exiled from Kyoto or executed. This inadvertently spread the Pure Land doctrine to a wider audience.
•   1221: The Kamakura army defeats the imperial army in the Jōkyū Disturbance, thereby asserting the supremacy of the Kamakura shogunate (Hōjō regents) over the emperor
•   1227: The Sōtō sect of Zen Buddhism is introduced to Japan by the monk Dōgen Zenji
•   1232: The Jōei Shikimoku code of law is promulgated to enhance control by the Hōjō regents
•   1274: The Mongols of Kublai Khan try to invade Japan but are repelled by a typhoon.
•   1274: Nichiren is banished to Sado Island
•   1293: On May 27, a major earthquake and tsunami hit Sagami Bay and Kamakura, killing 23,034 people. It followed a 1241 and 1257 earthquake/tsunami in the same general area, which both were magnitude 7.0. 1336: Ashikaga Takauji captures Kyoto and forces Go-Daigo to move to a southern court (Yoshino, south of Kyoto)
•   1338: Ashikaga Takauji declares himself Shogun, moves his capital into the Muromachi district of Kyoto and declares the northern court
•   1392: The southern court surrenders to the Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu and the empire is unified again
•   1397: Kinkaku-ji Built by Ashikaga Yoshimitsu.
•   1467: The Ōnin War is split among feudal lords (daimyo)
•   1542: Firearms are introduced by a shipwrecked Portuguese
•   1549: The Catholic missionary Francis Xavier arrives Japan
•   1568: The daimyo Oda Nobunaga enters Kyoto and ends the civil war
•   1570: The Archbishopric of Edo is established and the first Japanese Jesuits are ordained
•   1573: The daimyo Oda Nobunaga overthrows the Muromachi bakufu and extends his control over all of Japan
•   1568: Nobunaga enters Kyoto, marking the beginning of the Azuchi-Momoyama period
•   1571: Ohama Kagetaka begins his piracy in the Ise Bay area, working as a naval general for Takeda Shingen and later Tokugawa Ieyasu
•   1573: Nobunaga overthrows the Muromachi bakufu and exerts control over central Japan
•   1575: Nobunaga defeats the Takeda clan the Battle of Nagashino
•   1580: The Ikkō-ikki finally surrenders their fortress of Ishiyama Honganji to Nobunaga, after enduring an 11-year siege.
•   1582: Nobunaga is assassinated by Akechi Mitsuhide, who is then defeated by Toyotomi Hideyoshi at the Battle of Yamazaki.
•   1584: Hideyoshi fights Tokugawa Ieyasu to a standstill at the Battle of Komaki and Nagakute.
•   1586: Osaka castle is built by Toyotomi Hideyoshi.
•   1590: Hideyoshi defeats the Hōjō clan, effectively unifying Japan.
•   1592: Hideyoshi invades Korea.
•   1598: Hideyoshi dies.
•   1600: Ieyasu is victorious at the Battle of Sekigahara, marking the end of the Azuchi-Momoyama period.

[This timeline was not created by me but by Wikipedia.]

Part IV: Citations[004]

Wikipedia’s Page On Japan And All Their References
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan

Wikipedia’s Page on Japan’s History And All Their References
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Japan#Muromachi_Period

Wikipedia’s Pages On the Kamakura, Muromachi, And Azuchi-Momoyama Periods
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamakura_period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muromachi_period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azuchi-Momoyama_period

Offline Wesker

• Veronica Hates Me
    • Marv The Zombie
Re: Japan: Land Of The Rising Sun
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:16:58 PM »
Nice report!
Awesome Points: 585

http://wesker.flashcartoons.org

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*Minor Threat*`·¸.´*****
*******`·.¸(¨`Forever·´¨)..·´*******
**************`·.¸.·´************

AnimeFreeze

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »
I did get a 95.  [8D]

black death

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:26:13 PM »
To lazy to read, so i give it a F

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »
I heard hello kitty was appointed the foreign relations ambassador
Awesome Points: 155
Shin's the perverted hero, he wouldnt stoop to that level.

omegadoomslayer (7:36:13 PM): You, Pryce and Whales are the Trio of Terrible

Cewt Addy Bunny (3:38:58 PM): You are a ­di­­ck.
frashprince55 (3:39:12 PM): Why thank you.

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 09:52:02 PM »
In my School, you would have gotten a 0 because you used Wikipedia. xD

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 09:57:13 PM »
Aye, same here, F for you  :xmas:

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:01:20 PM »
There's an easy way around it. Just use the links that Wikipedia used to cite their website as yours. :D That's what I do.

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 10:02:05 PM »
ahahahaha, never thought of that

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »
Of course you didn't. I'm just a genius.  [heart]

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:25:10 PM »
sneaky bastard...

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »
What can I say? My sneak skill is 100.

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 10:36:27 PM »
no WoW shit...

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 10:57:54 PM »
That's from Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, punk. D:

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 11:05:05 PM »
how should i know, i play FPS games no fantasy shit

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 01:19:38 PM »
Do a report on the last 100 years of japan and I'll read that! :xmas:

But its cool you have an interest in japan. Ever thought of living there?

[kata]

Offline ShinamoriAoshi

• The Original Pervert
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »
living in a foreign country sounds hard at first

Offline Flashwerewolf

• 4M4Life
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 10:37:50 PM »
well duh thats why you have to do some investigating. first use the interbutt to learn about culture and daily life. then you identify what you'd be doing there and narrow your living search to a handful of towns. all the while learning the language. then once you save up enough money and have realized you are serious enough to move to a foreign land, take a planeride over and spend a week or two there, visiting the towns you had researched. Talk with the locals, start asking about employment and just relax and emmerse yourself in the culture. then come back home and meditate on your trip and the pros/cons/realizations of what your expectations were and create a revised gameplan.

[kata]

AnimeFreeze

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »
Man I would do a hysteric laugh if I did a report on the last 100 years, Basically it would just be them getting raped by America  [love].

Offline Flashwerewolf

• 4M4Life
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »
how about the drug culture of japan within the last 100 years and influences from other countries and cultures.

[kata]