4M4Life.com

Legalizing marijuana answer to government’s $ problems?

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
Legalizing marijuana answer to government’s $ problems?
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:12:14 PM »
FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:
http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/07/is-legalizing-marijuana-the-answer-to-the-governments-money-problems/

It’s time to debate legalizing marijuana in California — so says Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. As the state faces mounting deficits, the governor says he’s open to talking about different ways to create revenue. Although Schwarzenegger doesn’t think the state should rush to judgment and start taxing and legalizing pot right now, he says he’s interested in looking at other countries that have legalized it to see what effect it’s had.

A cannabis plant is pictured. Cannabis is known as marijuana in its herbal form.

Schwarzenegger’s comments come as support grows nationwide for legalizing pot. In California, a recent poll found for the first time a majority of voters back legalization.

One California lawmaker says regulating and taxing marijuana would bring the state as much as $1.3 billion a year in extra revenue. Proponents say it’s about more than just money; it’s about the failure of the war on drugs and implementing “a more enlightened policy.”

One advocate tells The San Francisco Chronicle that Schwarzenegger’s comments represent “a tectonic shift” in attitudes on the issue, saying: “The public is going to drag the politicians into doing what is right.”

But not everyone is so sure this would be the right move. Some lawmakers say the potential revenue would hardly make a dent in California’s deficit — which could soon reach $20 billion. They say this is just a sign of the governor’s “growing desperation” over the budget.

Here’s my question to you: Is legalizing marijuana the answer to the government’s money problems?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 5pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

And, we love to know where you’re writing from, so please include your city and state with your comment.

Interested to know which ones made it on air?

Ray from Nashville, Tennessee writes:
It won’t solve the problem of the deficit, but it would help a little with revenues. More importantly, our court system would rid itself of a huge burden created by petty pot violations. Think of the money that would be saved by not having to bust, try and jail these people. It’s a win-win situation.

M. writes:
There are too many people making too much money from this drug being illegal: cops, prisons, courts, and all the people they employ take home good paychecks from weed.

Tim from Texas writes:
Would you start smoking pot if it were legalized, Jack? How about Wolf? Does the fact that it is not legal prevent anyone from smoking it? The point here is that whether it’s legal or not has no effect on whether people use it or not. So why not make it legal and tax it? For a billion dollars you could pay 20,000 teachers 50K a year.

Kathy from Wilcox, Alabama writes:
Legalizing pot won’t eliminate government deficits. But it’s a viable idea to discuss. If anything, legalizing pot would pacify large segments of the population into not worrying so much about deficits. I’ve never encountered aggression or anger in a pot smoker. But I’ve seen a lot of bruises and broken lives caused by alcoholics.

Sam from Orlando writes:
Absolutely! Marijuana should be legalized and taxed, that’s more money. Satisfying munchies means more money. Taxing rolling paper means more money. Less violent crimes equals less need for enforcement resources, which means more money. We can have a more friendly society, crooks and coppers hugging and holding hands while sharing some fine government ganja…. it would be beautiful.

Guy from Atlanta writes:
Dude, I was going to post something but I forgot what it was. Have a nice day!

KINJO NOTE: It should be legal, mainly cause of what "Sam from Orlando writes" its true, and i think florida should legalize it too

Re: Legalizing marijuana answer to government’s $ problems?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
Have you not seen reefer madness? It'll make you run people over and pimp slap your lady friends. Wait...why haven't we done this yet?
Don't wanna live, don't wanna be the E-M-P-I-R-E

Offline Wesker

• Veronica Hates Me
    • Marv The Zombie
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
I still wouldn't bother with this shit. It makes people so damn inept that it's hard to talk to them, plus those at my school who do it look like zombies.
Awesome Points: 585

http://wesker.flashcartoons.org

-------------------------------------------
********(¨`·.·´¨).I.(¨`·.·´¨)********
****(`·.·´`·. ¸.·;Love`·.¸.·´`·.·´)*****
*****`·.¸.·´*Minor Threat*`·¸.´*****
*******`·.¸(¨`Forever·´¨)..·´*******
**************`·.¸.·´************

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG

Offline Flashwerewolf

• SPIDERWOLF AP: 620
    • 4M4Life
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:24:02 PM »
The issue is facing the decision now is that people want to legalize it for the $$ and not for the other reasons it has been debated for, for so long.

What other issues would arise from the legalization? What would it do to our populations productivity which is already faltering against other nations productive peoples?

We could legalize killing, if the government came up with some sort of Bounty for criminals that are out in the streets. That too would generate money, but at what hidden costs?

Just because it will generate money doen't mean it should happen. More money for the Gov't is a bad thing because  $=Power.

You won't "fighting the man" buying dope from Uncle Sam.

[kata]

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:27:10 PM »
productivity in california is already low

the only ones working are the illegals and animators  [arape]

(and necessities jobs, such as urs fw)

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 08:34:33 PM »
I want to get a job writing movie scripts to things that were popular in the 80's, that seems to be a huge market for that right now.

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 08:36:13 PM »

Yeah. I'll be too high to care. :D

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:37:40 PM »

High on life right?

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:38:32 PM »

High on life right?

Yeeeeeah! Life! :D

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 08:43:04 PM »
Just don't forget to pass the "life" on the left hand side.

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
Share the love, bro.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 09:01:38 PM »
It's puff,puff, give man. Puff puff give.

Offline Flashwerewolf

• 4M4Life
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 09:05:32 PM »
Peacenickery is all and good, and is very ideal and favorable.

But we are at war, we have Millions of people around the world as well as entire nations that are trying to over throw us, because we are so cool.

We might not believe in racism, but these other nations would kill any one of us on the spot because we are American Dogs, or have some other sort of religious view than them.

We also have enemies within our government corrupting everything, and choaking our freedoms out of us.

The Decades of having a Free Spirit, and just cruising thru life are over.

This is the New World Order now, we have to be paying attention to what is going on around us or we will become even weaker than we already are as a nation.

The world will get a lot more violent during everyone's lifetime, don't be naive about the future.

[kata]

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 01:51:11 AM »
Everyone's worried about what's gonna happen to them and shit in the future, and thinking everything's gonna kill you. By the time you actually die, you'll realize you never lived. Lol.

Plus, if weed is legalized, then it'll be cheaper. @___@

Offline kinjo

• Lavalle Lee
    • FLASHCARTOONS.ORG
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 07:26:04 AM »
here here

why go through life worrying, i already do and trying to get better

if it were legal i would be more relaxed

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 09:32:17 AM »
If they legalized weed, nothing would get done, however twinkie and pizza sales would go through the roof!

Offline Whalesdude

• I r Nab
  • Ohi.
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 02:32:36 PM »
This is very true.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it...

People smoke weed enough already. Legalizing it won't matter as much as people speculate that it will... Lol.

Offline Flashwerewolf

• 4M4Life
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 07:38:45 PM »
I think it shouldnt be legalized for profit, but be legalized because its accepted to not be "Uber Harmful" as it was made out to be.

@ Whales: nothing wrong with being mindful of how sick the world is. Nothing wrong with building yourself up to be stronger. you cannot "never lived" its a myth. Living is living. there is no ideal because life is chaos.

If it is legalized I think the 4M will have a green theme for a while [dbz] maybe some reggae music in the background

[kata]